Hiking The Rock – 10 Days
July 8, 2019 Double: $4,795, Single: $5,595 For those who like salty air in their lungs and the east coast’s best underfoot, tramp over “The Rock” where the wilderness grows as deep as the creases on friendly faces. Get close to nature on the…
July 8, 2019
Double: $4,795, Single: $5,595
For those who like salty air in their lungs and the east coast’s best underfoot, tramp over “The Rock” where the wilderness grows as deep as the creases on friendly faces.
Get close to nature on the John Hogan Trail. The boardwalk skirts Torrent River where migrating salmon leap and a waterfall makes it a gorgeous 3km trek! Pretty Port au Choix peninsula is the trailhead for a 7km coastal walk along the Dorset and Point Riche Trails. The gravel path to Crow Head Lookout is fringed with tuckamore and the stairs up the limestone cliffs provide panoramic ocean views.
Vikings stepped off longboats in Newfoundland over 1,000 years ago. Visit L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site, North America’s oldest settlement. See a replica Viking ship at the Norstead Viking Village living history museum and hike the fabulous lookout trail before stopping at the Dark Tickle – be sure to pick up partridgeberry jam!
Travel & Leisure magazine gave the 5km Skerwink coastal loop top honours. 5kms of icebergs, seabirds, whales, and sea stacks offer more scenery per linear foot than any other trail in Newfoundland! So join us and explore the nooks and crannies of Newfoundland’s craggy shores!
Walk on the wild side
Untamed and ruggedly beautiful, Gros Morne spoils outdoor enthusiasts! From the Gulf of St. Lawrence Lowlands to the Long Range Mountains, “The Great Sombre” offers unmatched beauty. Boreal forest, bogs, arctic landscapes, waterfalls, cliffs, and glacial fjords cram inside the park.
Traverse unusual geography beside blue water that buries shipwrecks and scuttles icebergs down its coast. A guided hike through the ancient Tablelands takes us through a unique bouldered landscape. Bronze peridotite and green serpentine rock from deep within the earth (thrust to the surface thanks to tectonics), makes this flat-topped barren massif an odd beauty and a geological blueprint of the earth.
At Western Brook Pond, we’ll follow a boardwalk trail and see the majesty of this landlocked fjord carved by glaciers. Billion-year-old cliffs and 2,000-foot-high waterfalls are the rewards. Look for the colony of cliff-nesting gulls as well as salmon, trout, and arctic char.
Return airfare from Toronto, deluxe motorcoach transportation, 9 nights accommodation, 9 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 6 dinners, all highlights listed, Tour Director, Connections Program and all taxes.
Prices are in Canadian dollars, are per person and include HST. If booking your own airfare reduce price by $500.
• Gros Morne National Park
• Western Brook Pond Cruise
• Theatre Newfoundland Labrador
• The Arches Provincial Park
• Torrent River Salmon Interpretation Centre
• Port au Choix Historic Site
• L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site
• Norstead Viking Village
• Newfoundland Insectarium
• Prime Berth Twillingate Fishery & Heritage Centre
• Dungeon Provincial Park
• Cape Bonavista Lighthouse
• Cape Spear
• Guided tour of St. John’s
• Bay Bulls whale watching cruise
• Witless Bay Ecological Reserve
• Tablelands – 4km (Easy)
• Western Brook Pond Trail – 6km (Easy)
• John Hogan Trail – 3km (Easy)
• Dorset & Point Riche Trail – 7km (Easy-Moderate)
• Long Point Lighthouse to Sleepy Cove 6.5km (Moderate)
• Skerwink Trail – 5.3km (Moderate-Difficult)
• St. John’s (2 hiking options)
What to Bring
• Comfortable footwear with a good grip (hiking boots are recommended)
• Waterproof jacket and waterproof over-trousers
• Warm clothing, such as a fleece
• Several layers of clothing, which can be added or removed (hat and gloves are recommended)
• Small backpack
• Water bottle (at least 1 litre)
• High-energy snacks
• Walking poles are particularly useful for descents
• Insect repellent, sun hat, sunglasses, sunscreen
• Rocky Harbour: Ocean View Motel (1 night)
• Cow Head: Shallow Bay Motel (1 night)
• Plum Point: Plum Point Motel (2 nights)
• Gander: Sinbad’s Hotel & Suites (1 night)
• Clarenville: Clarenville Inn (2 nights)
• St. John’s: Delta Hotel (2 nights)
(click to enlarge)
We Reward Loyalty
Book this trip and earn denuros. Travelled with us before? Redeem denuros and SAVE 5% up to a maximum of $100 pp. For more information about our Denuros Travel Rewards click here.
Hiking The Rock – 10 Days
Day 6: Prime Berth, Long Point, The Coves
Then hike in the salty east coast afternoon air from Long Point Lighthouse to Nanny’s Cove and Sleepy Cove.